Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday Notes

This one's actually left over from yesterday but I thought I'd include it anyways. Sampdoria thumped Inter in their Coppa Italia semifinal, booking their place in the final along with Lazio who defeated Juventus previously. The 3-0 scoreline admittedly had much to do with Inter fielding what amounted to a B-team but Sampdoria are in form also and proved their recent success over Milan was no fluke. Goalscorers Cassano and Pazzini are both red hot and I sure hope Italy boss Marcello Lippi is taking notice.

A pretty quiet day Thursday saw one shocking result as Kuwait (125 in the FIFA rankings) went into Canberra and beat Australia (27) in Asian Cup qualifying. I have a soft spot for Australia as I like many of their players like Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill and it's pretty hard not to like Australia in general, but this is a pretty bad loss. I mean Kuwait did win the tournament once... in 1980... when they hosted it. The Socceroos did field mostly domestic A-leaguers however and I'm confident they'll win their group which also includes Oman (87) and Indonesia (137)

There was some good news for my fellow Liverpool fans today however as Fernando Torres stated, on his personal website, his intentions to remain with Liverpool even if Benitez leaves. How good his word is we have no way of knowing but it seems for now at least that Torres sees himself in Red at least until the end of his contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment