Friday, March 13, 2009

Weekend Picks

Going down to visit my lady friend in NYC this weekend so I'll throw my picks up here now and we'll see how I did and have a recap on Monday.

English Premier League

Arsenal v. Blackburn Rovers: Despite a nice win over Fulham during the week I don't see how Rovers can contend with a resurgent and increasingly healthy Arsenal side. 3-1 to the Gunners.

Bolton Wanderers v. Fulham: A tough one to pick. I like what Fulham has done this season but every time I doubt Bolton they surprise me and I like them at the Reebok. 2-1 Bolton with Kevin Davies on target.

Everton v. Stoke City: Everton sit in sixth while their opponents here are in a relegation scrap. The Potters haven't won away all season and while they do seem to have more to play for I don't see that changing. A valiant effort might see them snatch a point and I'll back them to do so, 2-2 at Goodison Park.

Hull City v. Newcastle: Picking against Hull never seems to be wise this season but they've cooled considerably and the returns of Owen, Butt, and Duff will tip the scales in Newcastle's favor on this occasion. A 1-2 scoreline snatches 3 vital away points for the visitors.

Middlesbrough v. Portsmouth: Portsmouth have an atrocious away record and Middlesbrough have proven tough at home after defeating Liverpool at the Riverside Stadium a few matches ago but my gut says that Portsmouth is simply the stronger side. Both clubs need the points desperately but I think Middlesbrough lack of scoring hurts them in this one. 0-2 to Pompey.

Sunderland v. Wigan Athletic: Sunderland want to distance themselves from the drop zone but Wigan have their eyes on a still attainable spot in Europe. A hard fought match ends all square, 1-1 at the Stadium of Light.

Manchester United v. Liverpool: With both teams coming off European victories and the usual war of words swelling beforehand I expect nothing less than title match atmosphere at Old Trafford on Saturday. Liverpool were more convincing than United and have an extra days rest. I could go on and on, but of course I'm going to pick my boys. 2-1 Liverpool. C'mon you Scousers!

Chelsea v. Manchester City: Both of these squads are also coming off of solid European performances but I have to take Chelsea at home. 3-2 to the home side in a fast and furious affair at Stamford Bridge.

Aston Villa v. Tottenham Hotspur: Tottenham look resurgent with a revamped strike force led by the returning Robbie Keane. One of the biggest questions in the EPL these days is whether or not Villa can deal with a pressure they've never faced and hold onto the final Champions League spot. I'm not sure of the answer, but I don't think this is the game in which they falter. Villa wins 3-1.

West Ham v. West Bromwich Albion: West Brom only have pride left to play for but I don't think that will be enough. Zola's men win Monday's match 2-0.

Italian Serie A

I'll be picking a select few games this week for Serie A, and that will probably be the norm.

Siena v. AC Milan: Milan have been, much to my dismay, very inconsistent this season. I think the club has settled down a but though after a rough week or so with a UEFA Cup exit and all the Beckham hub-bub. There are still some injury concerns but I think they'll take this one comfortably. 0-2 to the Rossoneri.

Juventus v. Bologna: Juventus could field a fine squad with just their injury list and Bologna have Serie A's top goalscorer in Marco Di Vaio. A surprise 1-1 draw in Turin.

Sampdoria v. AS Roma: Roma's injury woes continue and a little hangover from their valiant but ultimately unsuccessful effort against Arsenal during the midweek will see them fall to an enigmatic Sampdoria side, 1-0.

Inter Milan v. Fiorentina: Mourinho knows that the Scudetto is the biggest honor his club can now win after crashing out to Manchester United in the CL. This might be the best match in Italy this weekend. I expect Inter to win but I think it will be tight. 2-0 to the Nerazzurri.

Lots of action this weekend and I'll miss it all for the Ms. Good thing Comcast threw in that DVR.

No comments:

Post a Comment